News - Parks & Trails Plan

Throughout the summer and fall of 2013, the City completed a parks study to develop a long term plan for parks and trails throughout the community.  As a result of the study, the City Council contracted with Freese & Nichols Engineering to create a Parks & Trails Master Plan for a citywide park system.  The Master Plan was adopted by Council on February 11, 2014.  Click HERE to view the plan. 

In addition to the City's plans for future parks and greenspace, the TRWD Board of Directors approved a contract for construction of the Airfield Falls Trailhead on Pumphrey Drive.  The contract was awarded to Struhs Commercial Construction.  The project was expected to be complete by the fall of 2015; however, construction delays have occurred and a completion date is not currently known.   The trailhead will include a new parking lot, picnic pavilions, restrooms, drinking fountains, and park benches.  A conservation garden of native plants will enhance the site.  A military aircraft sculpture will honor the history of the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base (NAS JRB).  Click HERE for an artist's rendering of the site.  Click HERE for a model of the sculpture. 

In September 2014, the City was awarded the Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) Grant to construct and enhance the trail system throughout the City.  Westworth Village was selected as the number one project over all other cities in Tarrant County!  Grant funds of $1.7M represent 80% of the project costs, with the City funding the remaining 20% (or $400K).  These funds will provide walkers, runners, and cyclists access to Airfield Falls, Hwy 183 shopping areas, as well as completing the link to the Trinity Trails.  Westworth Village is the head that's been missing in the Trinity Trail System.  The plan includes intersection signals and crossings at Hwy 183 and Sherry Lane and a pedestrian/bicycle underpass at Hwy 183 and Pumphrey Drive.  This project will be managed by the North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG).   Click HERE to read more about the Program on the NCTCOG website

Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.