Parks & Trails Plan
TRAIL UPDATE: On April 9, 2019, the Council voted to “accept the base bid from North Rock Construction LLC, along with the added alternate bid, in the total sum of $908,621.25, with the instruction given to staff at the time of the contract signing, that there will be no construction on the Leonard Trail portion or the ONCOR/Fairways portion of the contract for 90 days."
Construction begins on May 6th on the White Settlement Road portion of the project. The executed contract can be found HERE (NOTE: The file is large and may take a few minutes to download depending on your software.) Please be mindful of construction workers during this project.
This allows time for a working group to be established by the Mayor to explore possible alternative routes to the section in the ONCOR easement and for staff to continue to work with the private property owners on a land donation for the discussed alternate of the Leonard Trail segment. The Mayor has now established the working group to investigate all alternatives to the current ONCOR/Fairways trail segment. The letter from the Mayor can be found HERE.
This item will continue to be a topic of discussion at city council meetings and citizen input is encouraged:
- Attend Council meetings and speak during Citizen Comments or at Public Hearings.
- If you are unable to attend, email the City Secretary at: firstname.lastname@example.org and request that she read your comments during the Council meeting.
- Stop by City Hall and voice your opinions in person to the City Secretary or City Administrator.
Throughout the summer and fall of 2013, the City completed a parks study to develop a long term plan for parks and trails throughout the community. As a result of the study, the City Council contracted with Freese & Nichols Engineering to create a Parks & Trails Master Plan for a citywide park system. The Master Plan was adopted by Council on February 11, 2014. Click HERE to view the Master Plan.
Click HERE to view a historical timeline of the City-Wide Trail System.
In September 2014, the City was awarded the Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) Grant to construct and enhance the trail system throughout the City. Westworth Village was selected as the number one project over all other cities in Tarrant County! Grant funds of $1.7M represent 80% of the project costs, with the City funding the remaining 20% (or $400K). These funds will provide walkers, runners, and cyclists access to Airfield Falls, Hwy 183 shopping areas, as well as completing the link to the Trinity Trails. Westworth Village is the head that's been missing in the Trinity Trail System. The plan includes intersection signals and crossings at Hwy 183 and Sherry Lane and a pedestrian/bicycle underpass at Hwy 183 and Pumphrey Drive. This project will be managed by the North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG). Click HERE to read more about the Program on the NCTCOG website.
In addition to the City's plans for future parks and greenspace, the TRWD Board of Directors approved a contract for construction of the Airfield Falls Trailhead on Pumphrey Drive. The contract was awarded to Struhs Commercial Construction. The trailhead includes a new parking lot, picnic pavilions, restrooms, drinking fountains, and park benches. A conservation garden of native plants enhances the site and attract butterflies along the path. A military aircraft sculpture honors the history of the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base (NAS JRB). Click HERE for an artist's rendering of the site. For more information, check out this video about the falls.
On September 29th, 2017, a dedication ceremony was held for Westworth Village's first Texas Historical Commission historical markers. The markers are located near the entrance to Airfield Falls and commemorate the Fort Worth Army Airfield and Major Horace Seaver Carswell, Jr, United States Army Air Corps. Click HERE to learn more about the stories behind the markers.
Photos by Dean Minchillo at TRWD
To see more photos from the dedication ceremony, click HERE.